Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Speechless and in disbelief

We finally got an issue with D resolved this evening that has me floored at the why's behind it. Long story short, he's had a rotten smell coming from his nose since January. In February, his ENT took his tonsils/adenoids out. The smell continued, plus we had the added bonus of red tinged nasal drainage. Two post-op appts between the surgery and March 31st, the ENT just said it was still healing. I took him back this morning to the ENT where he said there was suddenly a foreign object in there, and he scheduled us for surgery so he could sedate D and extract it. This made me suspicious, it was a little too coincidental that he'd had the smell and bloody discharge since the surgery.

So I took him to the ER, and I am so thankful I followed my momma instinct on that. The ER doc looked in his nose, got some forceps, had 3 of us hold him down, and pulled out what appears to be, a surgical sponge. The first thing the nurse said was: "That looks like a surgical sponge. Wait, didn't he have tonsil surgery recently???" I was in shock. I had my suspicions but never realized they would be so on target. The ER doc said she was surprised the ENT didn't already take it out as it was pretty low. Which completely leads me to believe that he KNEW what it was when he looked in D's nose this morning, and wanted to cover up that he had left it there. I am absolutely furious. D has been dealing with this for 3 months now! I've already filed a complaint against him to the Texas Board of Medical Examiners and will be filing one with Medicaid as well. I'm not sure what else I can do to make sure he is held accountable for this, but am hopeful that one of these will take care of it.

Foodwise, despite it all, I managed to hang on and not go crazy with eating. It was tough and I did have to invoke my emergency 100 cals when I treated D and I to ice cream after his traumatic evening. But lets start with breakfast. Since we went to the ENT first this morning, I fixed us a breakfast of two slices of toast with a bit of butter and reduced sugar jelly and turkey sausage. Lunch was Annie's Cheese Ravioli and a 100 cal pack of cheese crackers. My afternoon snack was a Special K protein bar. Dinner ended up being Shake n Bake chicken nuggets with ketchup, mashed tatoes and green beans. I had a slice of 2% cheese while cooking dinner. My evening snack was a kids cup of orange sherbet from Braums to end my day at 1419 calories.

Output: Today was an off day from training, so I got up and did the 32 minute WATP before fixing D and I some breakfast. I got in a 10 minute brisk walk at work during my break, and then late this evening I did 20 min of cardio dance to finish off my day.

No comments: