Thursday, October 9, 2008

My child needs some prayer

Before he gets excommunicated...OY, this child is driving me nuts! Two days ago, I started switching my discipline methods to more Love and Logic techniques. And let me just say, that D is fighting it with every fiber of his being. He is testing me on so many levels its not even funny, every little part of our typical routine is turning into a test. I'm just exhausted from it, and its only day 2. On a good note, he IS responding to the choices I've been giving him.

I spent a lot of last night crying over this. A) Its just trying and emotional to have your child testing their limits constantly, even little routine things, which we always do. I know this is shortlived, (please God tell me this is short-lived!!) But also B) I'm feeling like the worst parent ever. Mainly because I think that I should have started this from the very beginning, and even though he does have neurological issues that cause a lot of the problems he has, and makes all this worse, because he's very very clever, and it seems to me that he DOES test more than other kids do, I feel that a lot of what I've been attributing as a neuro issue, is a failing on my part. I really feel like a failure with him for even HAVING to make this transition. Better late than never, right? I keep consoling myself with the fact that I've always been fairly firm and consistent with him (with a touch of what my friend's call "black momma"), but this is a whole new ballgame. And right now, I'm just praying for daylight.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Don't even use the word failure!! You rock & every parent has to figure it out as the journey moves along.

Holly said...

Yeah That to Helen!!!! *hugs*

Kathy Slattengren said...

Parenting is certainly challenging! It’s natural for your son to really test the limits and want to change you back to your “old behavior”. If you continue to stick to your new approach, he’ll eventually settle down. Good luck!