Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 What a day it was

I just wanted to take a timeout from diet/weight loss talk, and remember the significance of today. 7 years ago today, 9-11-2001, is a date that very few of us will ever forget. Its a horrific day that we'll always carry with us. Some people will carry physical reminders of it, and others, will look fine, but the emotional/mental side of it will never leave them.

I remember that morning vividly. I was on my way to work when the first plane hit. I had been listening to Kidd Kraddick in the morning and I recall there was speculation that some idiot had tried to fly between the buildings of the World Trade Center and ended up crashing. No one knew what else was to come. I get to work and head to our Leasing Dept where they had a small tv turned on watching news coverage. As we were watching, the second plane hit. We all stood there horrified as it slowly dawned on us what was happening. As other reports came in of more planes, it was difficult to concentrate at all. I did not have a radio or tv in my office, so kept trying to get online to stay up to date. Unfortunately, all the news sites were overloaded. I couldn't bear to not know what was going on, so I ended up back in our leasing dept in time to see the first tower fall, and then went back and forth the rest of the day. I remember being worried when reports came in about the Pentagon as a 2nd cousin of mine works there. She was fine but it took a day or two to get information about that. I'm sure her parents were worried sick.

I can not imagine what the people who were actually involved in it really went through. And I can not imagine the trauma that caused. I can't bear to think of the passion behind those attacks, and how there are so many people out there who would do it all over again to us. It hurts me to think that there are people out there right now who are plotting something just as big. And I worry about my son, what kind of world he's growing up in, where there is that kind of hate.

I'd like to take a moment...and if you are reading this, please join me in this. Just take a moment, a quiet moment of prayer, of thought, of solemnity, and simply say a prayer for those who have hurtful intentions that God will touch their hearts and turn them away from it. Our God is a big God, and He can do anything. Anyone who could hurt people like that, is not a follower of the God I know, and needs to feel His love in their hearts.

I know this post got a bit lengthy but I felt led to just write, so there you have it. I hope that all of you have a great day today. For those who are missing someone today and mourning, I pray all of God's peace on your life. *hug*

No comments: